15/501 South Land Use Discussion Group -updated 3-15-12
After the Future Focus workshops in February, both town staff and several 2020 stakeholders suggested that we establish a parallel discussion group to develop a recommendation on the 15/501 South corridor. George and I discussed this with Mayor Kleinschmidt and the Town Manager, who endorsed this idea, and we also took the proposal to the 2020 co-chairs at our meeting with them last Thursday. The co-chairs agreed that this would be worthwhile.
Over the last several days we have worked on developing a charge, a composition for the group, a schedule, and meeting agendas. We are fortunate that former Mayor Kevin Foy has agreed to chair this discussion group. He will be an impartial moderator and will keep the group on track. The Future Focus consultant, Urban Collage, will provide professional support, the data and background information that citizens have said they need to strive for consensus on a land use recommendation for this corridor
Keep in mind that the work and conclusions of this discussion group will be reported back to the Chapel Hill 2020 process and stakeholders.
- The charge of this work group is to attend three meetings to develop a land use recommendation for the Southern 15/501 area of the Chapel Hill 2020 Future Focus work sessions.
- The work group will work with the Future Focus consultant to devise a land use recommendation to be presented to the Chapel Hill 2020 Comprehensive Plan stakeholders.
- The work group will receive public comment at each meeting.
- The work group will make a recommendation to the 2020 Co-Chairs and participants before April 24, 2012.
- This process will be a model for civil discourse on a topic of community-wide importance.
Scope and Schedule The scope and schedule for the work group meetings will be:
Wednesday, March 21, 8-10 am -105 Market Street, Rooms 3 & 5 Chapel Hill, NC 27516
- Existing Conditions
- Development Opportunities
Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 5-8 PM Location TBD
Thursday, April 19, 2012 5-8 PM Location TBD
- Guiding Principles
- Preferred Alternative to 2020 Process
- 3D Visualization
- Land Use
Composition of the Group Membership of the discussion group is modeled after the composition of the Northern Area Task Force. Membership will reflect the interests of the community and the Chapel Hill 2020 process:
- Kevin Foy – chair
- 2 Planning Board members: Kimberly Brewer & John Ager
- 1 Bicycle and Pedestrian Board member- Rainer Dammers
- 1 Transportation Board member- Whit Rummel
- 2 Southern Area Residents – Susan Duke & Jeremy Purbirck
- 2 Southern Area business or land owners or land owners representative: Lori Eichel & Ben Perry
- 1 Southern Area ETJ resident: John Schmidt